Thursday, May 7, 2009

That place was a rip off.



Should Southern Baptists attend the SBC annual meetings?

I have been to two (2) SBC annual meetings. The first was in Dallas, because my pastor/mentor Kirk Taylor took me and it was local. The second was in St. Louis, because I could enjoy other things STL has to offer (e.g., family, Cardinals, and White Castle).

When I found out the 2009 meeting was in Louisville, I was interested because they have The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary there and White Castle. Funding issues aside, the SBC annual meeting doesn't typically show up on my radar screen of conferences I might attend.

Each year I go to the Desiring God pastors conference in Minneapolis, but it's uncommon I have the resources (time & money) to go to another conference during the year. If I do, Together for the Gospel or the Founders conference or the Ligonier Ministries pastors conference or various other conferences would get resource priority over the SBC annual meeting.

I'm not alone among my generation of Southern Baptists, but why is that? Is it just a matter of opportunity cost?

After reading Alvin Reed's post "Why Should I Attend the Southern Baptist Convention?" I have a more solidified understanding of why more of my generation are absent.
"NOTE: those my senior wanted to change the world for the gospel and believed the way to do that was through convention involvement; those my junior believe such involvement in the convention actually hinders their ability to change the world for the gospel!"

Is there a lack of confidence in the Cooperative Program? If so, why? Since each Southern Baptist church is autonomous, what are the worthwhile reasons for cooperation? Has the SBC lost focus or have the priorities been obscured by lesser endeavors?

If YOU don't go, why not? If you do attend, what motivates you to do so?

No comments:

Post a Comment