Thursday, November 15, 2007

Fat guy in a little coat ...

I'm riding along in my automobile, nobody beside me; I'm at the wheel.

As a car went by me I noticed the cross hanging from the rear view mirror. It was a crystal or glass one that captured the light nicely.

But I also noted that about 8-10 inches away, prominently displayed on the dashboard was ... a radar detector.

I actually laughed out loud at the juxtaposition of those 2 objects, and what they symbolized.

The 1st is the emblem of suffering and shame identifying the Lord Jesus and His followers. It represents selflessness and subjection to the will of God.

The 2nd represents a person who wants to break the law, but avoid the potential penalties therein.

Christians bear the obligation to obey the laws of the land, as is seen in Romans 13:1.
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. (ESV)
Rebellion against "the man" is really rebellion against God, with the caveat, of course, that we disobey any rules or laws that would necessitate our breaking the laws or rules of God Himself.

I understand that folks falter at times, but the radar detector seems to me a pretty good indication that there is no intention of obeying the law to the glory of God.

There are certain things that just don't go together, they just don't fit.

A fat guy in a little coat, for example, and a Christian sporting a radar detector.

No comments:

Post a Comment