Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Of my friend, I can only say this: Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most . . . human.

I came across a list of "10 Movies It's Okay for Guys to Cry at." The list is all wrong, but I thought the concept was interesting.

Here are the movies it's okay for a man to cry while watching and still be considered a man (i.e., his Man Card is not put in jeopardy).

In no particular order ... The Top 20 Movies during which Men May Cry:

1. Old Yeller - This is beyond dispute. If fact, there's something wrong with you if you didn't cry when Old Yeller got shot.

2. Rocky II - When he says, "Yo, Adrian! I did it!" ... Niagra Falls, baby.

3. The Green Mile - Knowing the end of an innocent man.

4. Schindler's List - Many moments, of course.

5. Forrest Gump - When Forrest reads the letter at Jenny's grave ... oh yeah, touching.

6. The Champ - Little Ricky Schroeder crying, saying, "Wake him up, Jackie." Maybe it was because I was a kid, but that left quite an impression.

7. Where the Red Fern Grows - If you've seen it you know, especially if you're a dog lover.

8. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest - Great movie and even greater book, but seeing what Chief does prior to his exit is quite moving.

9. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - The touching scene between Kirk & Spock centered around sacrifice.

10. Men of honor - When DeNiro orders Cuba Gooding, Jr. to walk in his suit.

11. The Passion of the Christ - Never have I been so moved by a movie, especially one I could never watch again.

12. City of Angels - The end ... I won't spoil it for you, but it's good.

13. Excalibur - Being caught by the Lady of the Lake at the end.

14. The Mission - The ending, naturally.

15. Pay It Forward - The ending, of course.

16. Remember the Titans - When they win for their fallen teammate. One of the best movies of all time in its own right.

17. Family Man - Late at night when he ponders his last moments with his kids.

18. Butterfly Effect (Director's cut, not sloogey version) - How Devon brings about the end of the/his narrative.

19. Somewhere in Time - Richard Collier's departure and denouement.

20. ? ? ?

No offense to Oilcan, but An Officer and a Gentleman didn't make the list, nor did Terms of Endearment. Beyond that, I'm open to suggestions for number 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment