Wednesday, March 11, 2009

See this? This is this. This ain't something else. This is this.

Early on in my Christian life I was made aware of the words of Jesus in Acts 1:8, even memorizing it.
"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."

Like many, I was taught that my Judea was College Station, my Judea was Texas, my Samaria was the US, and the end of the earth was ... well, the end of the earth.

But is that a valid interpretation/application?

But, what if Jesus simply means for His witnesses to carry the gospel message from Jerusalem, throughout Judea and Samaria, and then all over the earth?

In other words, what if my we're actually carrying out that last bit by evangelizing in Texas, or wherever you happen to be, presuming it's not Jerusalem, Judea, or Samaria?
*Some good comments motivated this cogitation: Should churches rethink their evangelization strategy, particularly with a MUCH greater emphasis on the places where the gospel has yet to be (i.e., the end of the earth)?

No comments:

Post a Comment