Monday, December 28, 2009

So, this team is perfect. We stepped out on that field that way tonight and if it's all the same to you, Coach Boone, that's how we wanna leave it.

I don't want to whip the non-football fans, but I felt compelled to weigh in on an interesting situation.

Contrary to ESPN's Jeffri Chadiha, I don't think the Colts did the right thing in benching their players in the second half in what would become their first loss of the season.

I know the ultimate goal each season is the Super Bowl, but I would have played for the win. After all, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME! Not just because it's good to win the game or any game, but because they still had a good chance to go undefeated. Every year someone wins the Super Bowl, but only once has a team gone undefeated while doing so, the '72 Dolphins.

Sure, there are risks involved with having your players in football games and I know they've locked up the #1 seed, so there's no way to improve their playoff standing. But, there are also risks involved after a team has made the playoffs when trying to improve seeding.

Can a #6 seed win the Superbowl? The Steelers did it in 2006.

Yet, nobody says it's only important to make it to the playoffs while they are able to shoot for hosting a game or getting a bye. They take a risk in pursuit of a goal.

I may be in the minority, but I think a 19-0 perfect season is a significant enough goal. After all, THAT has never been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment