Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Last time I looked in the dictionary, my name's Ron Burgundy. What's your name?

Brent Thomas has posted about church names and it got me to thinking of church names to avoid.

I'm curious as to what you've seen as well. What are some weird or hokey or confusing church names?

I would avoid the following church names:
  • Freewill Baptist Church
  • Free Love Baptist Church (never actually seen this one)
  • Ebenezer Baptist Church
  • Buelah Land Baptist Church

I would also suggest avoiding the word "Temple" in the name.

Sometimes church names are just funny and/or ironic. Remember Calvin Freewill Baptist Church? (HT Matthew Bradley)

It seems to be popular to put "Community" in the name and I can understand putting locational aspects in the name, but I tend to think of these things from a pastoral perspective. For example, I think it's cool to have some Latin in the name, but I know I'm in the minority.

I'm curious as to what other pastors think about church names, but also what does the common (wo)man think about church names?
  • Is it important to have the denomination identified in the name?
  • Is "Fellowship" preferred to "Church"?
  • Are there benefits to changing a church's name? Like what?
  • How trendy is too much with names?
  • What's the best church name you've come across? the worst?
  • If you could rename your present church, what would it be?

(cf. The significance behind "Providence Church.")

No comments:

Post a Comment