Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here.

As we recently planted 6 more baby trees in our yard to balance the adults and the adolescents, I was thinking about trees.

I drove by our old house and looked at the trees we planted 8 years ago. I drove by our older old house and looked at the trees we planted 12 years ago.

Wow, like spirituality, you don't really notice growth on a day to day basis, but inspect again after a few years and you might be surprised.

I've got a little black book with my poems in ... here's one for your edification.

Trees

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

-Sgt. Alfred Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918),
KIA at the Second Battle of Marne

No comments:

Post a Comment