Friday, October 5, 2007

Life all comes down to a few moments. This is one of them.

Today is the 304th birthday of Jonathan Edwards. (HT Jay the Bennett, who has some good slooge about his "homeboy")

I just wanted to share one of my favorite Edwards bits. His recollection of his conversion, upon meditation of 1 Timothy 1:17. (In the past, I've also shared his "resolutions.")
The first instance, that I remember, of that sort of inward, sweet delight in God and divine things, that I have lived much in since, was on reading those words, 1 Tim 1:17. Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen. As I read the words, there came into my soul, and was as it were diffused through it, a sense of the glory of the Divine Being; a new sense, quite different from any thing I ever experienced before. Never any words of Scripture seemed to me as these words did. I thought with myself, how excellent a Being that was, and how happy I should be, if I might enjoy that God, and be rapt up to him in heaven; and be it as it were swallowed up in him for ever! I kept saying, and as it were singing, over these words of Scripture to myself; and went to pray to God that I might enjoy him; and prayed in a manner quite different from what I used to do; with a new sort of affection. But it never came into my thought, that there was any thing spiritual, or of a saving nature, in this.

Of course, per Edwards conversion entails a change in the affections and I always find myself inspired by the affection Edwards had for our Master.

No comments:

Post a Comment