Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

I'm sitting in the airport last night in St. Louis talking with a fellow Cardinals fan and the discussion turns to what I do in Texas.

He then wants to engage in a theological conversation, where his assertion is that religions are all the same, they just have a few different points of doctrine.

Of course, I had to object. No, I had to strenuously object.

It doesn't surprise me to hear such from the "man on the street," but twice now I've heard this type of thing from one in whom it is inexcusable.

If it happens once, perhaps you could say it's a fluke. A second time, it is what it is.

President Bush has (again, cf. 2003) said that all religions worship the same deity.
Well, first of all, I believe in an almighty God, and I believe that all the world, whether they be Muslim, Christian, or any other religion, prays to the same God. That's what I believe. I believe that Islam is a great religion that preaches peace.

I have to echo the sentiment of Richard Land after the 2003 incident:
"Like many other Americans I applaud the president as a man of deep religious faith who attempts to bring that faith conviction to bear on public policy issues," Land told Baptist Press. "However, we should always remember that he is Commander-in-Chief, not theologian-in-chief. And when he says that he believes that Muslims and Christians worship the same God, he is simply mistaken."

Scripture "is clear" on the issue, Land added.

"There is one God and His name is Jehovah and His only begotten Son is Jesus Christ of the seed of Abraham and Isaac, whose mother was the Jewess virgin, Mary. Jesus our Savior has made it clear that we must know His Father through faith in Him and Him alone."

I know Christ's exclusivity is a truth that hurts, but falsehood hurts even more, having eternal consequences.

Although President Bush professes to be a Christian, his theology is inherently un-Christian and that should be huge cause for concern. I'm not a hater by any stretch of the imagination, but I hate the lie he believes and is propagating.

John Calvin wrote:
"A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent."

Something greater than freedom has been attacked. God's truth/Truth has been attacked and this aggression will not stand.

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -Jesus, John 14:6

No comments:

Post a Comment