Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song.

Okay, either I'm losing my mind or the music world is off its axis, bold as love.

I'm station jumping in my car and on MIX 102.9 (local pop station in Dallas) I hear "I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me.

Earlier that very same day I had heard Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" on KLTY, one of the local "Christian" stations. I had heard it reported that they played it, but my blood still boiled when I heard it.

The latter no longer surprises me, having either personally heard or got from reliable witnesses the playing of the following on the Christian station:
  • I Need You - Lea Ann Rimes
  • If I Lose My Faith in You - Sting
  • Time after Time - Cyndi Lauper
  • Peaceful, Easy Feeling - Eagles
  • Don't Worry, Be Happy - Bobby McFarin
  • Proud To Be An American - Lee Greenwood
  • Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler
  • The Living Years - Mike and the Mechanics
  • Stand By Me - Ben E. King
  • Beautiful Day - U2
  • Kyrie Eleison - Mister Mister
  • Lean on Me - Bill Withers
  • In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
  • Because You Love Me - Celine Dion
  • Love Is the Answer - England Dan & John Ford Coley
  • Where Are You Going - Dave Matthews Band
(Perhaps I'm just tender that Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler" has been snubbed thus far.)

I heard two others last week that my wife could validate, but I can't remember them. I was about to come unglued and so wished I would have written them down. I just thought they were so heinous I would not be able to forget them. My bad.

Admittedly, at least some of these songs are being sung by (presumably) Christian artists, but I'm not sure that makes it a Christian song.

I also realize that for some they only know these songs via a Christian station by a Christian, but is that what makes a secular song a Christian song?

But, hearing "I Can Only Imagine" on "regular" radio motivates me to ask: Are these helpful labels anymore (i.e., "secular" and "Christian") when it comes to music? Were they ever?

1. What constitutes "Christian" music?

For me that's a more difficult question to answer than "What may I listen to?"

It's easier for me to have stuff that's "off limits" (that list may be different for others). But for me there are two things that can disqualify a song:
  • Does it promote sin?
  • Does it glorify evil?
There's a lot of gray out there, but these are two questions that I have found helpful.

2. What governs/guides your musical experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment