Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Join me in mourning the passing of William F. Buckley, Jr. (HT Oil)

I used to eat him up in my political heyday and was once a devoted subscriber and reader of National Review. He's a stalwart and pillar of/for conservatism his passing symbolizes the end of an era, just as we're on the eve of a "not so conservative" receiving the Republican Party's nomination.

From William Kristol, editor of the Weekly Standard:
"For people of my generation, Bill Buckley was pretty much the first intelligent, witty, well-educated conservative one saw on television. He legitimized conservatism as an intellectual movement and therefore as a political movement."

He also gained notoriety in 1965 when he ran for mayor of New York City on a lark against a liberal Republican who eventually became a Democrat.
When asked what he would do if he won the race, Buckley issued his classic response, "I'd demand a recount." During one televised debate, Buckley declined to use his allotted rebuttal time and instead replied, "I am satisfied to sit back and contemplate my own former eloquence."

I always appreciated him because he was a throwback to my brand of conservatism, that of Barry Goldwater.

The end of era, folks, and perhaps a sign of things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment