Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lance, Benji, Casey, Chad, Cody, Garold, Ross and Gunny Go to White Castle.

Like 2006 & 2007, I was in Minneapolis this week for the 2008 Desiring God pastors conference.

They're blogging (about) the conference if you want to check it out.

D. A. Carson was great, but, for me, Crawford Loritts (2nd from left) stole the show.

Crawford Loritts had 4 lessons about courage in The Call to Courage from Joshua 1:1-9, with the commissioning of Joshua after Moses' death. I heartily recommend his talk as well as the Q&A session with all the speakers (Carson, Loritts, Piper, and Livingstone).

I also recommend that pastors prayerfully consider going next year (to the conference and to White Castle).

As another has done, I'll share the Top 10 things I look forward to regarding this conference each year.
  1. Being a part of the paparazzi who pounces on "The Pipe" et al for a photo op
  2. Seeing seminary buddies again (e.g., Mike Ernst and Shane Freeman)
  3. Great times of worship with my brothers from various and sundry places
  4. Catching up with the conference regulars (e.g., Larry Newcomer, Benji Magness, Ross Strader, and Casey Jones)
  5. Making some new friends (e.g., Jay Collier, Garold Timmons, and Chad Barnes)
  6. Getting to White Castle - This has included walking (2006), a cab (2007), and the bus (2007 & 2008). This year's bus ride was interesting as we were packed in like sardines during rush hour and Texan Casey Jones tried his best to have a friendly conversation with a woman who clearly just wanted to get home. Finally, she informed him, "You need to get used to the way we do things in Minnesota; we keep to ourselves on the bus." I also love that when we tell folks we're trying to get to White Castle, the locals invariably ask, "Why do you wanna go there?"
  7. Getting better acquainted with men I have primarily known online (e.g., Tom Ascol (pictured) and Abraham Piper).
  8. Getting to visit with my local peeps (e.g., Brent Thomas, Tim Presson, Chris Blake, Cody Dixon (of Providence Church), and Lance Ward, my wingman and ol' lady at the conference)
  9. Making my joy complete by sharing in culinary excellence with the brethren at White Castle - How's that for an agape feast?!
  10. Having my heart stirred toward greater affection and commitment for the Lord Jesus - Priceless!

If you went, I'm curious as to what you most appreciate(d) about this conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment