Thursday, July 17, 2008

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights will make a left.

Reepicheep has raised the issue of the American Family Association's boycott of McDonald's because of it's efforts to advance the homosexual agenda, wondering how others might respond.

(See also the Baptist Press article, "McDonald's joins the gay agenda.")

I know some will say, "Hey, every corporation is sloogey, so don't worry about it.

I know some will say, "That's not a very loving approach for Christians to have."

I know some will say, "Christians have an obligation to ensure that not one penny of God's money goes to support shenanigans of any kind."

Well, I don't eat at McDonald's because I don't like it. I guess I'll join the boycott by passive inactivity.

But, I think it's a valid concern to wonder how much effort is required on our part to ensure our money (i.e., God's, of which we are stewards) isn't going to causes we're against, whatever they might be.

But, I guess once you know, it's a different story. Ignorance is no longer an excuse and knowing is half the battle.

For example, if I knew for sure the local burger joint was owned by a pedophile who split all his proceeds between the Al Qaeda, the Texas Longhorns football, Scientology, and the North American Man Boy Love Association, then I would not dine there.

I use that example, not because it's true, at least I hope not, but because that might seem a no brainer, from my perspective. That might appear to be clearly over the line.

But that raises the question, "Where is your line?"

What would you have to know about a business before you intentionally shunned it?

No comments:

Post a Comment