Friday, April 2, 2010

All right now, get mad at them eggs!

A blogger who had abandoned them because of ineffectiveness with regard to outreach asked the following:
"What do you think about Easter egg hunts at church? Do you see it as a helpful outreach tool? Are you concerned about detracting from the real meaning of Easter?"

Oddly enough, I stopped participating in "Easter activities" after I became a Christian. As a non-church going family we celebrated with eggs, rabbits, candy, and baskets. If there was any connection made to Jesus' resurrection, I never noticed.

After becoming a Christian in college I was like, "Hey, Jesus rose from the dead. So that's what this is all about?" Then I wondered, "Why all this other distracting stuff?"

Research revealed paganism fertility goddess worship behind the imagery. I don't even call it "Easter," but "Resurrection Sunday."

The short answer for me is that I'm opposed on theological grounds, but even if I wasn't I'd have a problem similar to what I have with Christmas.

I'm not anti-Santa, but I hate that Christ is eclipsed at Christmas because of Santa and Rudolph, etc.

Plus, I also don't think those outreach efforts yield much fruit and resources could be better spent.

So, seemingly in the minority I'm opposed to the Eggstravaganzas on those 3 levels.
"All the Easter eggs and the Easter bunny are even more extraneous to the purpose of Easter than Santa is to Christmas. At least Santa Claus was based on a saint. I wonder whether even some Christian churches are making the connection between Christ's death and resurrection and victory over sin — the linchpin doctrine of Christianity."
- Al Mohler, President of SBTS
Regardless of your particular practice, I encourage you to prioritize the resurrection in your celebratory festivities. Like Christmas, Jesus is the reason for the season.
P.S. Incidentally, doesn't anyone else find the Easter bunny rather creepy?

No comments:

Post a Comment