Friday, April 16, 2010

World War II Recognition

After visiting the National World War II Memorial in Washington, DC, and discovering the online recognition available for those who served through the registry, I felt compelled to share my family's contributions to that fight for world freedom.

The links below honor those family members:

My Father, Sid Welch, Major USAF, Retired

My Step-father, Ed Benham

Uncle Claude

Uncle Royce

Fortunately, none of them died in that conflict, though both Uncle Claude and Uncle Royce were recipients of the Purple Heart.

My father lost his life in an accident in 1971. My Step-dad and Uncle Royce died of natural causes in 2008 and 2000, respectively. Uncle Claude is still with us.

Photo From National World War II Memorial Website

Too often those of us in Main Street USA take for granted our freedom, not remembering what had to occur to bring about and keep those precious liberties we enjoy, including, but certainly not limited to, the great victory of our Founding Fathers and the Colonial Armies and brigades with the American Revolution, World War I and World War II.

Let us all keep in our minds and our hearts what those before us (and their families) have sacrificed, not just on Memorial Day, but each and every day as we give thanks.

Over For Now.

Main Street One

No comments:

Post a Comment