Thursday, March 6, 2008

I appreciate this whole seduction thing you've got going on here, but let me give you a tip: I'm a sure thing.

Some things I just don't understand and this one has bugged me for years.

I can't for the life of me understand movies where the love interest is a prostitute.

4 popular (some very) movies come to mind where the main character falls in love with a prostitute and they live happily ever after:
  • Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman"
  • Rebecca De Mornay in "Risky Business"
  • Jamie Lee Curtis in "Trading Places"
  • Dolly Parton in that one where Burt Reynolds is the sheriff and the Aggies beat the Longhorns (that I watched as a kid but would particularly recommend you don't watch)

The whole time I'm thinking, "She's a prostitute, brother! People give her money to fornicate with her in various and sundry ways. What, are you nuts?!"

But the movies are quite popular and the prostitution aspect seems to help, not hinder the movie.

What's the angle?
  • Is it that all women see themselves as prostitutes waiting for prince charming, who is a "John," but a really nice one?
  • Is it that all men want to marry prostitutes?
  • To what do I attribute the success of that genre of film?

I think it's ridiculous, trivializing and/or glamorizing such a debasing embarrassment to society.

No comments:

Post a Comment