Wednesday, March 5, 2008

That guy treats objects like women, man.

I don't think I would ever be mistaken for a "feminist," but stories like this one get my ire and indignation up.

South African taxi drivers assaulted a woman because she was wearing a mini-skirt. Reportedly,
"Passers-by reportedly laughed and cheered when Ms Ngcukana was assaulted last month."

Even at the height of my chauvinism, I never understood the line of thinking that what a woman was doing/wearing warrants being (sexually) accosted.

I'm not saying I don't have thoughts on what women (and men, for that matter) should wear in keeping with decency and modesty, but even a woman walking naked down the street is not "asking for it" if she says she's not wanting it.

This line of thinking that contributes to the lunacy of date rape and overall brutality against women makes my blood boil.

Even before I had daughters or had been converted, I was disgusted by the lion's share of "locker room talk" and attitudes toward women that objectified them.

At this stage in my life when I hear of date rape drugs and depraved morons (particularly in foreign countries) that rape women who they think are lewdly dressed (like a woman who showed her ankles to a guy not her husband) to somehow teach them a lesson ... well, I just want to handle up on justice the old fashioned way.

Rule #1 with my son from about as early as he could understand words was "Gentle with girls." He's been taken advantage of due to that rule, but I think he's better for it.

He also knows to pound mutant boys that are picking on girls on the playground, etc., especially his sisters. His dad will probably get called to the office because he got in a fight with some coward who was trying to grope a girl on the bus, but I will stand by his side and challenge the manhood of any who wouldn't do the same.

Okay, rant over, but I can assure you that I'm not riding in a South African taxi anytime soon, unless it's to go all Charles Bronson on somebody.

(cf. Stop Violence Against Women)

No comments:

Post a Comment