Wednesday, July 1, 2009

All right, remember - alcohol equals puke, equals smelly mess, equals nobody likes you!

I had a discussion once with a Baptist brother who was convinced the consumption of an alcoholic beverage in any amount was sinful, the context of which was the use of wine and grape juice in the Lord's Supper.

I was trying to show from the Scriptures that drunkeness was prohibited and that historically God's people, including the Lord Jesus, have had liberty with regard to moderate alcoholic consumption.

Yet, he was adamant that alcohol was sinful in and of itself.

At one point I made mention of the fact that there is alcohol in some cough medicines and even vinegar (i.e., soured wine). I was curious if it was sinful to consume those, but he said it was not.

When pressed on what I felt was an inconsistency, he explained that there was no way anyone was ever going to get drunk on cough medicine or vinegar.

As you might imagine, the conversation ended abruptly as I pointed out that even he really didn't regard the sin as being consumption of alcohol, but drunkeness. He did not, however, agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment