Friday, July 31, 2009

Come On Over . . . For A Beer

I am sure that the White House Public Relations experts were in conference for hours (maybe more) trying to figure out how to put a positive spin when President Obama entered the racial foray of his friend, Dr. Henry Louis Gates Jr., when he spoke on national television stating that the police “acted stupidly.”

The first point that I do want to make is that no matter who the person is, if they have provided satisfactory evidence that they are in their own home, then the police should have backed off right then and there.

No question.

That said, I do not think that it is the President’s place to say what he did on camera…to the nation…in the way that he said it.

There was backlash.

Many newscasters commented negatively about President Obama’s choice of words.

And, of course, when there is negative press, WH PR has to get into high gear to counter the effect.

The solution: invite the two parties to the White House…for a beer.

A beer.

Now, I do like the fact that, here in the USA, we do not place our elected officials up on too-high a pedestal. After all, many of them have come from the rank and file of good ole Main Street USA.

But I cringe when I start hearing news reports about President Obama inviting people over for a beer.

To this Main Streeter it just seems a bit much.


Is that supposed to make me like the President more?

If so, sorry it did not work.

Why? I think he erred in getting involved in the way that he did in the first place. And a staged media event did not change my mind.

Even more surprising, I guess, is the fact that, when all was said and done the parties came away agreeing to disagree.

Wow.

Mind-blowing.

What a triumph!

Not.

I read reports about how Obama accomplished this and that with the meeting and I am not sure that is the case.

While there are, admittedly, those who do have (and exhibit) racial bias in the USA, the open, on-camera, play that was performed at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue (photo-op, folks!) probably did not sway those individuals towards being more racially tolerant, let alone accept someone who is not of their color as one of their own.

Do people honestly think that a racially prejudiced person was swayed by this act of two blacks and two whites having a beer?

I think not. Perhaps it even made it worse with those folks.

For me, I would rather not have had some media spin (more than likely generated by WH PR) with the four participants and their sharing a beer.

It just did not seem … right, to me.

Actions always speak louder than words, or staged PR events (especially ones specifically designed to handle damage control).

Let us see President Obama move forward in a 100% unilateral direction for the Nation, with no prejudice towards race, religion, etc.

THAT is what may change the mind of haters.

Over For Now,

Main Street One

No comments:

Post a Comment