Tuesday, September 21, 2010

And if I find that you are trying to corrupt my firstborn child, I will bring you down, baby. I will bring you down to Chinatown.

I'm reading What He Must Be ... if he wants to marry my daughter, by Voddie Baucham, Jr.

Among other gems, he lists (and elaborates upon) some things that must characterize any potential suitor..

1. He must be a follower of Christ.

2. He must be prepared to lead.

3. He must lead like Christ.

4. He must be committed to children.

5. He must practice the four P's.
"Whatever words we choose to use, it is clear that a young man must be ready to represent his family before God (as a priest), represent God before his family (as a prophet), meet the needs of those in his household (as a provider), and place himself between his family and all who would do them harm (as a protector)."

Apart from omitting sports teams allegiances, it's a pretty good list and a book I heartily recommend, particularly to those entrusted with the development of boys.

There's a drought of young men suitable for marriage and my heartaches for the young ladies who are much more ready for life than the lads who delay adulthood to stay in "Guyland" into their 30s or 40s.

Sadly, women are stuck with such a poor pool from which to choose, being limited to wimps or barbarians, none of which understand nor care to understand what it takes to love another human, particularly making sacrifices for her benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment