Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Roger Ebert: "On the Origin of Transformers"

Everyone's favorite Transformers fan (sarcasm intended) Roger Ebert has decided to dedicate a post of his very popular blog to Transformers. His reviews of the movies have fallen just short of absolute hatred so it is interesting for him to claim "I have become fascinated by Transformers." While my review was not flattering, I did find Dark of the Moon to be very entertaining while Ebert wrote "It provided me with one of the more unpleasant experiences I've had at the movies."

His post is to somehow derive the origin of Transformers as a race based on how they were depicted in the last two movies as he makes no meaningful reference to the first while ignoring all non-movie related aspects of the now 25+ year old franchise. It is really just another exercise in expressing his extreme dislike of the Transformers movies. While not nearly as bad as his "Video games can never be art" post, this is another example of him writing on things that is way outside his scope of experience and interests. While part of the fun of a blog (or the internet in general) is having opinions based on vapor, I expect better from Ebert considering his credentials and influence. Anyway the whole bizarre and almost stream of consciousness post can be found here.

Feel free to comment here or there (let him know I sent you) but keep the comments civil in both places. I have no problem deleting the R-rated or just pointlessly mean comments. It takes me a whole lot less time to delete then it takes for you to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment